This lightweight easy to use anywhere anytime pressure coffee maker brews delicious, smooth and rich coffee flavour conveniently without stress. It presents every user with the smell of a nicely brewed coffee. However, it has a lot of distinct features that make it the best and affordable home, travel and outdoor mini coffee maker.
TL;DR Top 10 Portable Coffee Maker
If you’re looking for the best portable coffee maker for yourself, we have you covered here:
[Full Disclosure: This is a professional review website and the reviews are done based on personal opinions. Some of the links below are affiliate links. Compensation will be received if you go through them to make a purchase. Keep in mind that these products are suggested because of their quality and not because of the compensation received from your purchases.]
What to Look for in a Portable Coffee Maker?
Thankfully, there are many different types of travel coffee makers on the market to suit a variety of travel needs, but that also means the search can be stressful. To choose the best portable coffee maker for you, there are a few things you need to consider…
1. Brew Time
Don’t let your coffee maker slow you down when you’re on the go. The best coffee makers for travellers will generally take between 30 seconds – 5 minutes to brew a quality cup of joe.
2. Ease of Cleaning
Consider where you’ll be using your coffee maker most often and the cleaning facilities you’ll have available. Some you can toss in the dishwasher, but others need to be hand-washed. Some will be ideally cleaned in a kitchen setting while others can be cleaned perfectly fine at a campground. If you’re doing a multi-day hike, then it may be best to choose one with simple cleaning instructions. On the other hand, if you’ll be taking weekend trips to NYC, Las Vegas, etc. and will be back in your own kitchen in a few days, then it’s perfectly fine to get a coffee maker that requires a little more cleaning effort.
3. How Much Coffee Do You Need?
Your travel style and who you’re travelling with will have the biggest impact on this. Some coffee makers only make a single cup, while other travel coffee makers can make 12 cups. The more coffee it produces in one brew, the larger it is likely to be. Keep this in mind for packing purposes.
4. Power or Powerless?
It’s important to know what actually is required to make the coffee maker work before you buy it. Electricity? Batteries? Stovetop? None of the above? Your travel style and the power sources you’ll have access to will help you choose a quality portable coffee maker.
Fight the urge to believe that a bigger coffee maker will make better coffee. It’s best to travel as light as possible, and even some of the smallest coffee makers can brew exceptional coffee. Be sure the one you choose won’t add too much weight to your bag or take up an obscene amount of space.
6. Type of Coffee Maker
With many ways to brew coffee, here are the most common for travel purposes…
Best Portable Coffee Maker Reviews
We created reviews below with additional guidance for different kinds of Portable Coffee Maker. If you plan to buy Portable Coffee Maker online please do so through our review so that your purchase (at no additional cost to you) can support this website – thank you.
Mini Manual Handheld Coffee Maker
Usage: simply pour in the water and coffee powder, and then compress the bar by exerting pressure. It does not require any power source and more so, it’s very easy to clean by rinsing with water.
Durability: The plastic is made of PP Stainless Steel 304 Silicone. The cup is integrated making it perfect for espresso on the go. As a matter of facts, this product has been used 100s of times and no-fault developed so far.
Speciality: Any fine coffee: The portable coffee machine is designed to take any type of ground coffee. A finer grind is recommended for the best result after using the pump. It’s a simple and practical machine, and just makes the best espresso! Best choice for a gift!
Affordability: The price of this great product is relatively lower than its benefits, and also comparing the amount other manufacturers are selling their products while we offer the same if not even better in most cases, you’ll be surprised.
So it’s a known fact that because we offer this much at a relatively lower price doesn’t mean that other brands aren’t good, but in our case, this Manual Coffee maker Hand Pressure Portable Espresso Coffee Machine Pressing For Homes Travels brews the best-flavoured coffee that’ll make your day.
1 used from $40.00
- COMPACT & FEATHERWEIGHT - Whether you're going away for few hours or few weeks, space and weight are major factors when selecting your travel equipment. Minipresso has been designed to be the smallest, lightest and most versatile handheld espresso machine.
- INNOVATIVE & POWERFUL - Minipresso's ease of use is derived from it's innovative design. With the help of the semi-automatic piston, small quantities of water are injected into the coffee adapter. After a few pushes, the optimal extraction pressure is achieved and a rich and bold espresso is extracted
Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Maker
What to do when you need an espresso and you’re outdoors or abroad or wherever there is no electric sources and no Starbucks? A Moka Pot is the answer! Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Maker.
I never thought of this until I went on a road trip last month, and it wasn’t at all practical to lug along any of my espresso machines (yes, I have a few and none of them fit the bill). So I took along this Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Maker which I only bought out of interest, and I’m glad I did!
This cute little Moka pot is the traditional thing in Italian families, it seems, and it does make espresso, even if it is not the pump-driven machine-made type with a rich crema on top. The smaller size Moka pot always makes the better espresso, and I have the 3-cup one.
As long as you have a stove or a campfire, you can work this little wonder to make an espresso. Fill the lower half with drinking water (never use chlorinated tap water) and put the grounds in the filter, then brew it. Use low heat. It takes quite a long time but it’s acceptable since this is not a machine.
Cleaning up is even easier than you think. Rinse with tap water! No washing with soap because that will ruin the pot. Isn’t that even excellent for trips when you really have got to run?
As I said, this Bialetti Moka Express Stovetop Espresso Maker is the best travel espresso, maker. It’s cheap, won’t break your wallet even if you just use it on that one trip in a year. If you buy that stove-top, stainless steel milk frother together with this, you can make a great cappuccino too!
11 used from $23.76
- Makes 9.2 ounces of Moka Coffee - enough for 1 mug with a little left over
- Moka coffee is a strong, rich, and velvety brew
- Takes less than 5 minutes to brew on your stovetop
- High quality polished aluminum in the classic Bialetti octagon shape
- Patented safety valve; Easy to clean and disassemble
- Designed and Made in Italy, 2 Year Warranty
Since its creation in 2005, the Aeropress has become one of the most popular brewers. What’s especially great: it’s well suited for using both at home and when travelling. It also makes an amazing single-serve coffee maker (more of those here).
“Check any camping coffee-lover’s backpack, and you’re likely to see an AeroPress inside..” – Smarter Travel
The Aeropress is versatile. It’s fast, taking about a minute to brew. You can also use the inverted Aeropress method, which is slightly slower but produces a better cup, according to many connoisseurs. Although it’s easy to tweak the strength of your Aeropress brew according to your preferences, it’s especially well suited for making strong, espresso-like coffee. You can even make cold brew with it.
The Aeropress also scores high in portability, as it weighs very little and is quick to clean. It is often sold together with a tote bag, so it’s instantly ready to travel the world with you.
- Unique coffee espresso maker uses total immersion and gentle pressure to produce coffee with extraordinarily rich flavor
- Makes american style coffee or an espresso style shot perfect for use in lattes or cappuccinos
- Made in the usa
- Micro filtered coffee so pure and particle free that it can be stored for days as a concentrate for Cold brew coffee
- Included travel bag makes this item great for traveling the world and brewing great coffee
The Handpresso Wild is a “hybrid” coffee maker, meaning it’s been designed for use with either loose espresso grounds or pre-made ESE espresso pods. The Handpresso works by driving hot water through coffee grounds with air pressure manually exerted by the user.
Compared to many other portable espresso machines, the Handpresso is quite complicated to use. The espresso it produces is also considered weak compared to competitors. Find a super complete review of this portable espresso machine here.
Bodum Travel Tea and Coffee Press
The Bodum Travel Tea and Coffee Press is a vacuum-sealed travel mug with double-wall construction. It’s the best way to make coffee while camping because it’s quick and it will keep your 15 ounces of coffee or tea warm for hours on end.
All you have to do is add your coffee grounds, add hot water, then close the lid. By the time you’re done packing up your camping tent, the plunger will be ready to press and you can be on your way. It doesn’t get much easier than the Bodum Travel Tea and Coffee Press.
4 used from $25.47
- Travel Coffee maker: brew Coffee or tea on the go and drink from same container when ready; enjoy your daily fix wherever you are
- Quick and easy: Simply add coarsely ground Coffee, hot water and seal the lid for a delicious, freshly pressed cup in minutes
- Stainless steel: made of vacuum-sealed, double-wall construction, this stainless steel travel mug keeps beverages hot or cold for several hours
- Durable design: French press mug features a Spill resistant lid, built-in plunger and colorful, silicone, non-slip grip for easy Travel
Espro Travel Coffee Press
The design of this sleek travel mug is only the beginning of why it’s ranked as the best-rated coffee maker. The insulated, stainless steel, double-walled bottle has no problem keeping your drinks hot while you’re exploring a new city or hiking a new trail.
It makes 10 ounces of coffee at a time, but the travel mug stores 15 ounces of coffee. What makes this travel mug coffee maker truly unique is the fact that it has a patented double microfilter. This means you can get the bold flavour you love without the extra grounds hanging out in your mug. And not to worry, the lid is leak-proof. So whether you’re going skiing in Austria or cycling in Taiwan, you can sip your coffee in style without worrying about spills.
9 used from $31.71
- Beautiful Coffee on-the-go - The Espro travel press is designed for people that want great tasting coffee when they're on the move
- Grit & grinds free - unlike other presses, the Patented double micro-filter gives you deep, rich flavor without any grit in your mug
- Hot for hours - insulated, double-walled stainless-steel keeps your brew toasty for hours and won't ever break or leak
- Extraction that stops on a dime - after pressing, extraction stops instantly, so every sip tastes perfect
Soma Brew Bottle Coffee
If you aren’t interested in fiddling with paper filters while you are on the road, try the Soma Brew Bottle. It was even recognized as the best new product at the 2018 Speciality Coffee Expo. It’s seriously as simple as slowly pouring hot water over your grounds, screwing on a lid, and sipping away.
Additionally, this bottle is fairly easy to clean from filter to casing. Note that you will probably need to use a slightly coarser grind than you would normally for a pour-over tool. The main drawback is the price; this is one of the most expensive tools on the list. However, if you’re looking for pure convenience during your travels and even a little versatility (you can make cold brew and tea), it’s worth the investment.
- Hydration and Caffeinating at home and on the go. Designed to provide the highest quality coffee and tea with the most convenience.
- The double-wall glass keeps your Coffee hot and your hands comfortable. 12 oz. Capacity.
- Our patent-pending stainless steel filter provides a balanced taste with no sediment
- Flip top lid is completely leak proof and provides for a perfect flow rate, hot or cold.
- Sustainable alternative to coffee pods and disposable Coffee Cups; functional for your everyday Coffee drinker to your coffee connoisseur
Presto Myjo Single Cup Coffee Maker
If you use a pod brewer at home, you may not have loose beans or ground available when you go travelling. For Keurig users, the Rest Myjo is the solution. Designed for use with k-cups, this is a great option if your coffee supply is already entirely composed of coffee pods.
Easy to use and affordable, this is a great option for die-hard pod-ers. However, it’s not great for most other people. You might be able to get away with using loose grounds, but it’s messy. So if you aren’t already pod brewing or don’t specifically want to use pods while travelling, look elsewhere.
- The convenience of a single cup coffee maker without the high cost!
- Compact design lets you take it anywhere - home, work, school, travel or camping
- Heat water, Fill reservoir with hot water from tea kettle or place filled reservoir in microwave and heat
- Assemble, place K-Cup pack in base, attach the water reservoir and pump; brew and enjoy!
- Place assembled Coffee maker on top of your favorite Coffee Mug or cup and pump water through K-Cup pack to brew
KOHIPRESS Portable French Press Coffee Maker
This isn’t your typical travel espresso maker. Obviously the taste is second to none because of its full-immersion steep and pressurized plunger press. Other than the delicious taste, there’s only a three-minute brew time, you can make a hot or cold brew, the mesh filter is reusable, and it only weighs 12 ounces.
For travelling, it will barely add any weight to your carry-on luggage, and it can easily fit in your cup holder, so it’s also a great portable coffee maker for car trips like when you set out on your Croatian road trip or take a campervan to see the best of Iceland. The company designed it with travel in mind, so whether you need a coffee maker for camping, trekking, a weekend getaway, or anything in between, the KOHIPRESS Portable French Press Coffee Maker has you covered.
- KOHIPRESS The Original Portable French Press Coffee Maker | Vacuum Insulated Travel Mug | Premium Stainless Steel | Hot and Cold Brew (12 oz) | Great for Commuter, Camping, Outdoors and Office (Black)ALL-IN-ONE brewer and insulated travel mug - The versatile KOHIPRESS uses a full immersion steep with a pressurized plunger press ( a similar method as the Aerobie Aeropress ) to make a rich, smooth cup of coffee.
Kalita Kantan Dripper
“KANTAN” means “easy” in Japanese, and these little single-cup single-use drippers live up to its name!
With a small and flat-bottomed filter bed, you will find that the problems of uneven extraction and not enough time for the water to dwell in the coffee are removed. In the end, you’ll find a sweet, balanced extraction, the full-body character of coffee from these drippers.
- Kalita Kantan Single-cup Single-use Coffee Filters