Nothing beats a hot, steaming cup of your favourite coffee when you wake up in the morning. Itâ€™s also an excellent beverage for entertaining guests with, or for when you need a quick pick-me-up in the afternoon. Super Automatic Espresso Machines take out the tediousness of preparing your drink- they make perfect cappuccinos, espressos and americanos with just one press of a button!
There are so many automatic espresso machines out in the market that it will be difficult to find the right one for your specific needs. The brands and models alone will make your head spin, especially if youâ€™re just starting out. Itâ€™s easy to get overwhelmed with choices, features and product benefits when youâ€™re shopping for a good coffee machine. Youâ€™ll see simple espresso makers sitting alongside complex coffeemakers, with an exotic model thrown in between.
If you are a coffee lover and adore the idea that your favourite espressos can be made with little to no effort, then you should give super-automatic espresso machines a try. It sure beats grinding the beans, brewing an espresso, frothing milk, then adding it to the espresso cup! Today, these wonderful coffee making machines rival a real barista in the way they prepare your coffee. Buying one of these products usually means thereâ€™s no more fine-tuning; itâ€™s all about convenience and a pre-programmed machine for you!
TL;DR Best value super-automatic espresso machine
If youâ€™re looking for the best super-automatic espresso machine for yourself, we have you covered here:
[Full Disclosure: This is a professional review website and the reviews are done based on personal opinions. Some of the links below are affiliate links. Compensation will be received if you go through them to make a purchase. Keep in mind that these products are suggested because of their quality and not because of the compensation received from your purchases.]
Automatic Espresso Machine Vs Super-Automatic Espresso Machine
Whatâ€™s the difference between these different types of automatic coffee machine?
Automatic Espresso Machine
If you spot push-button functionality, itâ€™s an automatic espresso machine.
As the name suggests, the machine does pretty much everything for you. The coffee and water will be measured and dosed so all you need to do is choose between a single or double shot and hit the button. It doesnâ€™t get much easier than that.
Most automatic espresso machines come with onboard grinders.
With all main functionality taken care of at the press of a button, all you need to do is load up the filter and froth the milk and youâ€™re good to go.
Automatic espresso machines are extremely simple to use but they will require some cleaning.
Super-Automatic Espresso Machine
The name of this machine also nails its colours to the mastâ€¦
With a super-automatic, all you need to do is pop your cup in the tray, push a button and wait for your golden shot.
While youâ€™ll usually be able to make very small adjustments to grind size, youâ€™ll otherwise have very little control over the variables.
Another major downside of super-automatic espresso machines is that they normally require professional cleaning.
Many super-automatic espresso machines come packing a milk tank that froths and pours milk, perfect for cappuccino and latte. Most have an integrated grinder.
If youâ€™re not especially fussy about dialling in your shot, thereâ€™s little to beat the convenience of a super-automatic. If you want a more hands-on experience, check out our article on the best semi-automatic espresso machines.
Things to Consider While choosing a super-automatic coffee Machine
A steam wand is often a good indicator of the overall quality of the espresso machine. The main things to look for in a steam wand are:
- Manually controlled (automatic ones might be convenient, but manuals will give you better results once you get used to them)
- 2-4 steam holes
- Good range of motion and swivelling for optimal angles
Low-end portafilters are much smaller than the standards youâ€™ll find in a commercial setting. So if youâ€™re looking for an experience that similar to your local coffee shop, make sure your group head accommodates a portafilter that can hold 16-22 grams of grounds.
This mainly affects the size of the shot you can pull, rather than the overall quality of that shot, which is affected more by the coffeeÂ beansÂ themselves.
Speaking of beans, letâ€™s talk about grinding them. Some higher-end machines have a bean-to-cup feature that grinds your beans right when you start. These are generally more expensive, but if the machine doesnâ€™t have it, youâ€™ll need to get a separate grinder.
If you do opt to get your own grinder, go here to figure out which one will work for you. We recommend flat burr grinders.
Steam or Pump-Powered
Another internal mechanism to look at is the power behind the pressure of the espresso machine. The pressure is vital to creating a good espresso.
While steam is the â€œclassicâ€ and cheaper option, these machines can often suffer from inconsistent pressure, meaning inconsistent results.
Pump-powered machines give you more control over the temperature and pressure of the brewing process and are generally worth the extra cost.
Single or Double Boiler
The espresso â€œsweet spotâ€ is achieved at 195 degrees Fahrenheit with 10 bars of pressure.
Single boiler options are generally cheaper and slower on the heating uptake. On the other hand, while double boilers are faster at getting to the sweet spot, theyâ€™re much more expensive.
So if you arenâ€™t on a constant time crunch and youâ€™re looking to save some money, a single-boiler will probably work for you. However, if youâ€™re brewing for multiple people or just impatient, you might want to spring for a double boiler.
If you donâ€™t feel like constantly refilling a water reservoir, some espresso machines allow you to connect directly to the waterline in your kitchen. However, most people are fine with a larger water reservoir.
If you donâ€™t drink a lot of espressos every day or you donâ€™t mind refilling the reservoir, you can save a bit of money by getting a machine with a smaller reservoir.
Also, if you like tea or an easy way to pre-warm your cup, some machines feature a secondary water spout. This option isnâ€™t exactly necessary, but it is a nice touch.
One thing to consider with these machines is how easy they are to maintain. Removable components tend to make things easier to clean, but you do usually have to deep clean your machine to keep it functioning at full capacity.
At some point though, you do have to consider the quality of the materials inside your machine. Plastic tends to deteriorate faster than things like stainless steel, so your maintenance efforts can only keep a lower-quality machine going for so long.
If you are particular about how your espresso is brewed, you have two options. You can either get a good semi-automatic machine or a high-end super-automatic machine. Low-quality automatic machines arenâ€™t going to give you the flexibility you require.
With a semi-automatic machine, you will have to put in more physical effort and practice to get the perfect brew. However, once you get used to it, you should be able to get exactly what you want.
On the other hand, high-end automatic machines should give you plenty of programmable options that will allow you to customize your brew with a few button presses.
So this category really comes down to price and convenience. Semi-automatic machines are cheaper but require more effort on your part. Super-automatic machines are significantly more expensive but are usually much easier to operate.
There are a few brands that are known to be reliable with good-quality machines regardless of the price point. A lot of these brands make an appearance on this list including Deâ€™ Longhi, Breville, Gaggia, Rancilio, and Jura.
However, while all of the brands featured here produce great appliances, they are produced in different places. Some of them are Italian while others are UK-based. And some companies have their machines produced in China.
Thus, it may be worthwhile to check into a brand and their production policies to see if they align with your personal ideas and opinions- even if it wonâ€™t really affect the quality of your espresso.
Best super-automatic Coffee Machine Reviews
We created reviews below with additional guidance for different kinds of a super-automatic coffee machine. If you plan to buy super-automatic coffee machine online please do so through our review so that your purchase (at no additional cost to you) can support this website â€“ thank you.
Gaggia Anima Prestige Automatic Coffee Machine
Few super automatics can match the Gaggia Animaâ€™s mixture of value and featuresâ€”especially when you consider the long-term reliability of the machine.
Like similar machines, it features one-touch grinding, brewing, and milk frothing. However, it doesnâ€™t stop there. The LCD screen allows you to customize your espresso shots and steamed milk (three temperature settings) to a degree that most super automatics at this price point will not allow.
This means you have a decent amount of control over every drink, rather than having to stick with the basics that the machine offers by default.
The Animaâ€™s 60oz water tank is large enough for several drinks, and the 8.8oz bean hopper will last roughly fifteen drinks before needing a refill. All the internals are made from durable metal, rather than flimsy plastic, so you can rely on this brewer for years to come.
- ONE TOUCH BREWING AND FROTHING: Bean-to-cup feature with automatic milk frothing for cappuccinos, macchiatos and lattes. Power Cord Length : 48 inches
- PROGRAMMABLE: Programmable brewing options for lattes, cappuccinos, macchiatos and espresso;Steam Wand: Cappuccinatore; Capacity beans container: 250 g
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL: 3 different temperature settings. Min/177.5 ?F, Med/182.9 ?F, Max/184.5 ?F
- EASY ACCESS TO WATER RESERVOIR AND BEAN HOPPER: Features a removable 60 oz water reservoir that can be accessed on the top left of the machine, and an 8.8 ounce capacity bean hopper with access from the top right of the machine
Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
The new Gaggia Brera is a very impressive super-automatic espresso machine that has a small form factor, making it perfect for use on small kitchen countertops. Not only that, but it seems that the company has focused, among other things, to ensure that the Brera fully maximizes user convenience. For instance, the water tank, drip tray and the dregs drawer are all within reach and can be easily accessed from the machine for simple, swift maintenance and regular cleaning. With this model, beverage selection and machine programming have been greatly simplified, allowing users to easily navigate through the options which are certainly more than youâ€™d expect from such a small machine.
Volume, strength and also coffee aroma can all be easily customized. On top of that, the ceramic grinder uses the companyâ€™s Adapting System for adjusting the RPMs in order to ensure that the right amount of coffee grounds is dispensed.
Featuring chrome-plated accents and a stainless steel front panel, the Brera is an espresso machine that is very aesthetically pleasing. If you want, you can also get the side panels in silver or black. Functionality wise, the Brera is able to prepare a wide range of coffee types, including speciality coffee and pre-ground decaffeinated coffee thanks to its bypass doser. You can also make lattes, cappuccinos and macchiatos thanks to the machineâ€™s Rapid Steam Technology and Panarello Wand.
- FROTHING FOR MILK BEVERAGES: Pannarello wand frothing for cappuccinos & lattes. Wand doubles as a hot water dispenser for americanos & tea.
- EASY ACCESS: The dregs drawer, drip tray, and water tank are all within reach and accessible from the front of the machine for quick and easy cleaning and maintenance.
- USER-FRIENDLY DISPLAY: Push-button controls and an LED display with illuminated icons make for an easy and intuitive experience.
Jura IMPRESSA C65 Automatic Coffee Machine
Jura makes several great super automatic espresso machines, but this one stands out to as their best model yet when it comes to value. Featuring simple, no-frills rotary controls and consistent espresso and milk, itâ€™s the kind of machine that just feels professional and durable.
While thereâ€™s a bit of a lack of customization options, this Jura outperforms almost all other similarly-priced models on the market in terms of long-term reliability. And, in the end, the simple controls give this machine a smooth, eye-catching facade.
One feature we do love about this machine thatâ€™s uncommon is its hot water feature. If you need hot water for tea or some other reason, you can quickly and easily dispense it on-demand.
- Simple operation - thanks to the one-switch operating concept of the smart rotary switch
- Height-adjustable Coffee spout - the Height of the Coffee spout can be adjusted between 2.6 - 4.4 inches to allow any size of cup to be used
- Fine foam frothier - the revolutionary fine foam technology ensures unique milk foam quality with a fine, feather-light consistency
- Combination of striking clean lines, compact Dimensions, high-quality materials and uncompromising workmanship
DeLonghi Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso Machine
The Deâ€™Longhi ESAM3300 is a great mid-range option from a reputable espresso machine company. Deâ€™ Longhi is known for making affordable, high-quality small kitchen appliances, and this machine is no exception.
The built-in burr grinder guarantees freshness every time you brew. It also includes a double boiler, specialized cappuccino system, an auto-off feature, and a 60 oz water tank. These features give you the luxury of a super-auto machine, but the manual steam wand and customization options give you a good amount of flexibility.
The only shortcomings weâ€™ve found with this machine are that the grinder can be a little loud, and it doesnâ€™t work as well with dark (oily) roasts as it does with medium roasts.
- Patented "Cappuccino System" frother that mixes steam and milk to create a rich, creamy froth
- Easy-to-use rotary and push button control panel with programmable menu settings and beans container capacity is 8.8 ounces.Coffee grounds container- 14 cups or after 72 hours from first use. Maximum cup height- 4.25 inches
- Grinds beans instantly with the patented, compact and easy-to-clean "Direct-to-Brew" system. Use your favorite coffee beans to create your perfect espresso. Beans with less visible oil, usually a medium roast, are recommended for best grinder performance
Gaggia Accademia Espresso Machine
With its responsive performance and charming looks, the Gaggia 1003380 Accademia is certainly going to help you rise through the ranks when it comes to preparing the perfect espresso shot. Incorporating a bright display, a durable metal frame and a front panel made of stainless steel, this model is both charming and refined.
You also get programmable push-button controls for milk, hot water and espresso outputs and given the fact that the 1003380 Accademia dispenses great beverages on demand, itâ€™s great for those who donâ€™t like to wait for long before their drink is ready. In total, there are 7 buttons that you can use in order to prepare one of the following drinks hot water, latte macchiato, latte, cappuccino, cafe lungo, cafe and of course, espresso.
For maximum flavour extraction, the 1003380 Accademia comes with a pre-brewing system, allows you to program the coffee quantity from seven to ten cups and ensures that beans are grounded perfectly thanks to the ceramic burr grinder with double lid aroma saver and integrated bean hopper.
- Adjustable telescopic coffee dispenser with a maximum height of a little over 6-1/2-inch to accommodate a wide variety of cup sizes
- Milk carafe capacity 0,6 L.Ceramic burr grinder with integrated bean hopper and double lid aroma saver
- Integrated coffee grounds container, removable from the front
- Programmable coffee quantity - from 7 to 10-cup
- Pre-brewing system for maximum flavor extraction.Materials and finishing:metal painted/stainless steel
Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
If you are looking for an easily affordable machine, Mr. Coffeeâ€™s CafÃ© Barista is for you. Itâ€™s often labelled as a semi-automatic but it does feature automatic options and simply has semi-automatic redundancies built-in. Meaning it can adapt to your experience level pretty easily.
It also features an automatic milk frother, one-touch control panel, adjustable cup tray, and removable reservoirs. In sum, these features make the CafÃ© Barista simple to operate, easy to clean, and delightfully user-friendly. We recommend this for people who are just getting started with at-home espresso brewing.
The main complaints we have for this product are the cheaper parts and weaker espresso. The lower-end parts mean this isnâ€™t going to last you forever. Because this is an entry-level item, the espresso you brew wonâ€™t really stand up to really high-end machines.
- Semi-automatic 3-in-1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and latte maker
- 15-bar pump system brews rich-tasting espresso coffee.
- Trouble-free automatic milk frother removes the guesswork
- One-touch control panel for drink selections
- Easy-fill, removable water and milk reservoirs
- Cord length: 26 Inches & Watts:1040
Cuisinart Buona Tazza Superautomatic Single Serve Espresso Caffe Latte Cappuccino and Coffee Machine
Anyone who is looking for the perfect espresso machine, should certainly take a closer look at the Cuisinart EM-600. This model is able to brew excellent traditional coffee beverages and espresso shots at the touch of a button and without you having to worry about moving the cup. The EM-600 incorporates a removable milk tank (22 oz) which sends frothy, creamy and hot milk right into your cup for barista-quality, hands-free latte and cappuccino. If you want to use it with the Illy Espresso capsule system, youâ€™ll be very happy to know that this model offers innovative froth controls, flavour strength and temperature control with the push of a button.
Thereâ€™s also a dual heating system which helps eliminate the wait between the espresso and milk, meaning that you can easily prepare drinks for multiple guests. Given the fact that it can also take any mug or cup size, this machine is certainly going to be everything you need to make a delicious cup of your favourite coffee blend.
The EM-600 comes with a 34 oz water reservoir, allowing you to prepare up to twenty short espressos, a stay clean brew head, 19 bars of pressure, a frothing wand, a cup warming plate, Steam Control Dial and removable drip tray among others.
- 8 blue led controls for single or double espresso, manual flavor strength, one-touch latte and cappuccino, and hot and hotter temperature settings
- Stay-Clean brew head exclusively designed for sealed lily espresso capsules
- Frothing wand with exclusive "burst of steam"to automatically clean wand after each use
- 22-Ounce milk container for up to 6 cappuccinos
- Removable 1-liter/34-ounce water reservoirfor up to 20 short espressos
Jura A1 Ultra Compact Coffee Center
It doesnâ€™t get more minimal than the Jura A1 Ultra Compact Coffee Center. This small espresso machine sticks to the basicsâ€”espresso and coffeeâ€”and doesnâ€™t worry about milk. For some, this is a deal-breaker, but for lovers of regular black coffee and espresso, itâ€™s perfect.
Plus, you can always buy a separate milk frother if you want the occasional milk drink.
This machine uses Juraâ€™s patented pulse extraction process (P.E.P.) that shoots small amounts of water through the grounds (rather than a steady flow) to produce spectacularly consistent espresso shots, day after day. The shots are a bit smaller than those of larger machines.
- The ultra-compact JURA A1 delivers rich, full-flavored espresso without taking up valuable counter space
- Perfect for coffee purists, this one-cup machine uses an innovative Pulse Extraction Process (P
- ), which achieves the exceptional quality of a professional barista
Philips Saeco Saeco PicoBaristo AMF Automatic Espresso Machine
The Saeco PicoBaristo HD8924/47 Super-automatic espresso machine is a superior compact coffee machine from one of the worldâ€™s best-known manufacturers. It is an Amazon Choice machine, popular with purchasers and the recipient of excellent reviews. The PicoBaristo provides the widest variety of drinks of any compact super-automatic espresso machine.
- The Saeco PicoBaristo Super Automatic espresso machine is the perfect machine to have when you donâ€™t want to wait for your espresso or cappuccino. The Quick Heat Boiler works in conjunction with its light aluminium and stainless steel body to reach the optimum temperature almost instantly.
- Five Settings: You can customize your espresso with five different settings while setting the length of the brew and the temperature. The PicoBaristo makes it a snap to reproduce your favourite drinks with the memo function, which memorizes your settings.
- AquaClean Water Filter: Great coffee always starts with good water. The AquaClean filter is a key design and quality component of this machine.
- Ceramic Grinder: With good water, the next important component is the coffee and the grind of that coffee. Philips Saeco grinders are made of high-tech ceramic, which is exceptionally hard and precise. No burnt coffee flavour from the grinders in this super-automatic espresso machine! Fresh beans are gently ground while the ceramic grinder prevents overheating. So you taste to coffee as it was meant to taste with all the best flavours and aromas. The ceramic grinders have an expected life of at least 20,000 cups of espresso. The 10 grinder settings allow you to easily select from a range of grinds from finest grind or a full-bodied espresso to the coarsest grind for a lighter coffee.
- Automatic Milk Frother: Another important feature is the Automatic Milk Frother, which can top your drink with a beautiful and smooth milk layer that is especially attractive on your cappuccinos at the touch of a button.
- One-Touch Convenience: The Saeco PicoBaristo Super Automatic espresso machine will, with the touch of a button, rapidly brew a wide variety of speciality coffees. Enjoy an Espresso or Cappuccino anytime with the touch of a button. The styling of this machine is quite attractive with stainless steel on the front and Italian design that will fit any kitchen. Of course, the compact design is also quite beneficial.
- The espresso machine's ceramic grinders deliver premium espresso coffee from fresh beans for 20,000 cups guaranteed
- Enjoy 7 beverages at your fingertips, from espresso to cappuccinos and lattes;Boiler Design :Thermoblock
- 5,000 cups of coffee without descaling your espresso maker thanks to the AquaClean water filter
- Velvety froth at one touch with the automatic milk frother
- Large capacities in compact design: 8.8oz Bean Container, 15x Waste Container; 60.9oz
Saeco Xsmall Vapore Superautomatic Espresso Machine
The Saeco X-Small Vapore Automatic Espresso Machine is a feature-rich, compact super-automatic espresso machine. It produces great coffees automatically and is priced attractively while still having the features you want.
- Removable Brew Group: No one likes to spend a lot of time cleaning their espresso machine, but the Saeco Xsmall has made cleaning your espresso machine easy. In fact, Saeco designed it in such a way that cleaning it takes very little time and requires minimum effort as well.
- Save Energy: Are you someone who cares about the environment and would like to contribute to saving it? Well, then youâ€™ll be very happy to know that the Xsmall will go into standby mode if itâ€™s not used for 1 hour, therefore greatly reducing its carbon footprint (and your energy bill).
- Volumetric Controls: Saeco is very fond of customizability and repeatability. Thatâ€™s why they fitted the Xsmall with 2 programmable buttons that allow you to set your preferred water volumes. How great is that?
- Auto-Circuit Cleaning: Cleanliness is very important when it comes to brewing a perfect cup of coffee. Saeco knows that and thatâ€™s why each time the machine turns off and on, the coffee circuit is automatically rinsed. The Saeco X-small Vapore features increased longevity without significant maintenance thanks to this automatic cleaning process. Automatic cleaning keeps your expresso maker performing well and in great working condition longer.
- Classic Milk Frother: If youâ€™re the type who loves assuming the role of the master craftsman, then youâ€™ll love the X-small Vapore. In just a few seconds with the classic wand milk frother, you can easily create a silky and rich layer of foam that will make your espresso taste and look that much better.
- Automatic Cleaning: Increase the machineâ€™s longevity thanks to the automatic cleaning process. Thanks to it, you can keep it clean and in great working condition for longer.
- Five-Step Adjustable Grinder: Brewing a perfect cup of coffee takes a bit of patience, but most of all it requires a high-quality grinder to grind the coffee beans to your desired fineness. Luckily, the X-smallâ€™s grinder allows you to adjust coffee fineness to 5 different granularity levels. This allows you to prepare a wide range of different coffee types that have a great aroma and a rich flavour. Also, itâ€™s important to mention that the grinders are one hundred per cent ceramic grinders, which produce a superior grind with no burnt taste to the coffee and provide a long life of those ceramic grinders.
5 used from $255.17
- The espresso machine's ceramic grinders deliver premium espresso coffee from fresh beans
- Classic milk frother for creamy foam
- Customize the grind to your taste with 5 grinder settings
- One click removable brewing group. Cord length is less than 3.3 feet
- Auto-cleaning cycle removes any hassle.Material of main body: ABS Plastic
Some Frequently Asked Questions
Any final concerns or questions? Hopefully, these will iron them out for you.
1. Do These Machines Need Much Maintenance?
Yes, they are complex devices, after all. Thankfully, this isnâ€™t hard and most of the time you can do it yourself without having to hire some technical help.
The main thing you want to do is descale your machine every 200 drinks or so. This keeps calcium from building up inside and clogging pipes (the #1 cause of breakdowns). Itâ€™s not difficult and doesnâ€™t take much time at allâ€”just donâ€™t forget! Your machine will come with instructions on how to do this.
2. Can I Make Flavored Lattes Using Syrups?
You sure can! These machines donâ€™t drizzle flavour syrups on the drinks for you, but you can absolutely do this step on your own once the drink is finished.
3. Whatâ€™s The Catch To Fully Automated Espresso?
Thereâ€™s no catch, really. The espressoâ€™s great, the milk is creamy, and the machines have price tags to match the features. You get what you pay forâ€”a high-quality automatic espresso machine.