In early 2015, Seattle played host to one of coffee’s largest events: the World Barista Championship. Competitors from over 50 countries came to perform in front of an international audience of hundreds, with thousands more watching online. The World Barista Championship is a tremendous industry event, with an end goal of finding a Champion to serve as a global ambassador for specialty coffee for the following year.
We sat down with 2014 World Barista Champion Laila Willbur to discuss what the role the competition has played in her coffee career, and how the WBC influences baristas and the coffee world today.
Laila is the Vice-Chair of the Barista Guild of America and director of coffee for Cherry Street Coffee House in Seattle, WA
8 Things To Learn From Laila Willbur
- What kinds of challenges face a competitor?
- What did preparing for a competition look like for you?
- What were you least prepared for going into the competition?
- How does a country become a sanctioned body for the WBC?
- What does the WBC present for the countries that compete?
- What is the role or a WBC champion after they win?
- What do you see for the future of the WBC?
- What does the WBC mean to you?
About Prima Coffee Equipment
Prima Coffee Equipment is a specialty coffee equipment supplier based out of Louisville, Kentucky. From their inception, they have set out to make the best coffee brewing equipment available to the general public. Learn morea about Prima Coffee Equipment from prima-coffee.com